Monday 16 January 2012

Food for Thought

Whilst channel hopping on TV recently I came across celebrity chef Gordon Ramsay's "Kitchen Nightmares!" He was helping out an Italian restaurant Anna Vincenzo's in Florida, USA where the owner and chef  Cece was having a hard time accepting his remarks about her food. After much shouting back and forth Gordon Ramsay eventually literally spat it out that her food was "F###ing Shit" which ended up in a huge flurry of tears. Chef Cece then agreed to heed Gordon Ramsay's expert advice and a turnaround was on the cards. Some obvious errors responsible for the restaurants dismal performance was a massive menu and secondly nearly 80% of the food served was initially frozen. Needless to say with these faults corrected, a decor revamp and a relaunch with huge media coverage the restaurant was back in business with smiles all around.


Was thinking about the chef's reaction to hearing an honest appreciation of her food and how that painful realisation started to swing the mess around. As photographers we all inherently seek a feedback mechanism by which we can gauge whether our work is up to standard or not. It is rare to find fellow photographers willing to evaluate one's work honestly as it can be so subjective. Camera Clubs give great feedback however one is at risk of then producing cloned, stereotypical work that appeases these judges. Other avenues such as websites like Flickr are very helpful however most fellow photographers are polite and will leave complimentary comments and few would be so forthright to express their real thoughts. Gallery sales can reflect the buying public's appreciation (or disapproval) of one's work but ultimately the honest opinion of an esteemed photographer personally carries far more weight.

Looking further at other photographic parallels in this dramatic episode I realised that a huge menu would compromise any kitchen. Personally I have enjoyed dabbling in different photographic genres but there are only a few in which the photographs are more satisfying and I daresay of better quality. When it comes to freshness it is rather refreshing to see photographic work that is new and invigorating as opposed to another rehash of stale subjects or techniques. That reminds me to check my stock of refrigerated film and fortunately dated film doesn't spoil too readily.  If there's one thing I miss about Agfa films was that they had the best tasting film tapes, a lingering bouquet of flavours that made the end of the film so much more palatable! 

6 comments:

  1. Ah Mark! I share your (perhaps weird?) obsession with the aftertaste of film stickers. I referred to my original tasting notes and recall with fondness the long discontinued Kodak Technical Pan. Now there was a film that stirred the taste buds - "A robust little number with a film sticker generously imbued with an aromatic glue. Sharp on the palate yet balanced by a distinct hint of pine sawdust and a lingering suggestion of burnt rubber".

    I salivate just thinking about it. I wish that I could develop just one more roll and wash it down with a glass of freshly mixed Caffenol.

    Cheers!

    Love your blog Mark. Keep it up1

    Lawrance.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Lawrance it was actually Glen Green who introduced me to the finer nuances of film sticker tasting. It has been awhile since I savoured Kodak Tech Pan however I still have a few well matured rolls waiting to be licked. Sadly I suspect they will still have that lingering bitter burnt rubber aftertaste as the news of Kodak filing for bankruptcy assistance broke yesterday. Let's hope Kodak is saved and I will gladly raise my glass of Shiraz (which has stood for an unagitated hour) in a celebratory toast. Caffenol is just too an acquired taste for me but then again it will be around forever!

      Delete
  2. Thanks Mark for the thoughts. Been doing some self-examination regarding the trading (and life in general). Being honest isn't always easy!
    Hope you all are well!

    Shannon

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Shannon all well down here thanks. Trust you are all well. Share your thoughts on the honesty issue. This scripture often puzzled me - Mat 5:37 Let what you say be simply 'Yes' or 'No'; anything more than this comes from evil. Nowadays it's starting to make sense in this grey world. Speaking photographically keep it Black & White!

      cheers Mark

      Delete
  3. Well, regarding honesty, inside I'm a contrarian. Since teenage years, I tried to pick a different, more obscure "trend" to follow. I'll pick the underdog in a competition if I have no bias to begin with. I realize too, there is another Christian at work, but since she started watching Fox news (whether they really are news or just totally right wing media is debateable) and talking about it a couple years ago, I find myself taking the opposite side "just because"! I know I do this in discussions with Corné sometimes too, and hold to my point even if deep down I might admit it looks like I was wrong. Anyways, so in regard to trading, I've been trying to pick the turning point. I've had this feeling the euro is going to go up, so I've been buying it on dips, and then keep losing. I've made some better trades the last couple days "talking" it out loud and going with the prevailing trend, even short the euro rather than long. It seems to be working a bit better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shooting film is I suppose contrarian too! Playing Devil's advocate with Corne could turn tricky! Your trading decisions must be pretty tough and exhilarating - take my hat off to you.
      Your "loud talking" strategy sounds promising and I would think rather revealing.

      Delete