Monday 1 October 2012

A Walk in the Park

It was late Sunday afternoon and the low light was particularly beautiful. The perfect opportunity to try out the new Nikon D600 with Nikkor 85mm f1,8 lens. This magnificent oak tree with brilliant backlighting caught my eye and I was keen to use the bokeh panorama or Brenizer Technique. This technique is usually done taking numerous photographs (35 in this tree's case) using a fast normal or short telephoto lens wide open which then gets stitched together in any panoramic software creating the look of a wideangle with a very shallow depth of field. This is a look that cannot be photographed conventionally as such superfast wideangle lenses don't exist.



As I approached the tree there were two young girls playing nearby and I was so keen to photograph them however nowadays one has to be so careful as one's intentions can so easily be misconstrued. Then the younger girl shouted "photo, photo!" and I gladly obliged. She was so full of life and only when I photographed her did I see her squint however in no way did that rob her of any confidence.




 She said her name was Believe and then she boldly asked if she could take my photograph. I was taken by surprise but then hastily put the camera on Auto and showed her where to press. The camera was too heavy and her little fingers struggled but after a few blurry shots suddenly there I was in focus and off she ran. Strangely in that brief interlude and reversal of roles something shifted inside and the sweet innocence of a child rubbed off. So spontaneous and carefree and with her name Believe it was rather a little taste of Heaven! The new Nikon and lens is such a great combination and hits the sweet spot for me but this little unexpected encounter was priceless and yes Believe it or not, anyone can take a photograph!




No comments:

Post a Comment